The Mantis Chapter take it back 15 years sonically and 300 years topically. ‘Graveyard Poets’ is an EP wrapped in gothic imagery - it’s like a Hip Hop vampire film soundtrack, created in the UK, in 1992.
Vocal and production styles both ignore at least the last decade of progression in UK rap. As a result fast paced break-beats and lyrics ensue as in the Britcore days of yore. This isn’t a bad thing either; there’s no-one else currently peddling this sound so it does stand out.
The subject matter is influenced by all things archaic. Folklore, magic and mortality feature heavily but this is just their way of saying ‘I’m the illest’. The crew and their guests are all pretty eloquent and the album exposes yet another facet of UK Hip Hop.
‘Graveyard Poets’ is poles apart from much of the UK’s current output, it’s nothing like Sway, it’s nothing like Blak Twang, it’s nothing like Dizzee – it’s its own thing and if you’re into building a diverse but grounded-in-the-UK music collection, this has to be in it.
Related news items:
Newer news items:
- L.Star And Tweeti ft. Kevin Mark Trail - She looks Good 12" [L-Star] - 04/11/2008 04:28
- Estelle ft. Sean Paul - Come Over CD [Atlantic US] - 03/11/2008 17:00
- Black Milk - Give the Drummer Some / The Matrix CD [Fat Beats] - 03/11/2008 17:00
- Manny Moscow - The Three Piece Exkursion EP [Heavy Handed Recordings] - 28/10/2008 17:00
- Dap-C And Lil' Wayne - Ma Money EP [NGU] - 28/10/2008 17:00
Older news items:
- eLZhi ft. Black Milk, Guilty Simpson, Fatt Father, Danny Brown and Fat Ray - Fire CD [Fat Beats] - 21/10/2008 14:31
- Tone Loc - Funky Cold Medina - Aaron LaCrate & Deboniar Samir Remix CD [Delicious Vinyl] - 20/10/2008 17:00
- Danny Spice ft. Lewis Parker - Down and Out 12" [Cog] - 15/10/2008 17:00
- Wordsmith - They Don't Seem To Care EP [Def Ethics] - 10/10/2008 07:20
- Qwote ft. Plies - 808 12" [Jive] - 10/10/2008 04:10