Young London: Into Music is delivered in partnership with Biggafish, Continental Drifts, Music Matrix, Rising Tide and Urban Development. Over 100 young people between 14 and 25 years old will receive professional mentoring and the chance to work with established artists.
Each event will showcase some of the boroughs rising stars, alongside the hottest names in grime, dance, dubstep and indie. So far artists such as Bashy, Ms Dynamite, Roachford, Leon Jean Marie, Double S, Ghetts and MOBO award winning Akala have been confirmed as performing artists.
A large part of the group who will be mentored by Young London: Into Music fall under the socially excluded banner and are ‘Not in Employment, Education or Training’ (NEET). By working with industry professionals, the young participants will be inspired; engage in the development of new music content; curate, produce and promote a series of events alongside high profile artists. ‘Young London: Into Music’ will be created by young people, for young people.
The project will foster links between participants and record labels, publishers, promoters, broadcasters, producers and artists; in addition to instilling self-confidence and professional work experience to all its youth contributors.
Young London: Into Music is a key strand of CREATE09 – the multi-genre, multi-event festival of culture that will be celebrating a wealth of music and art in all its glory in the Olympic and Paralympic Host Boroughs between 26th June and 2nd August 2009.
The Delivery Partner Events
Biggafish, @ Underage Festival, Victoria Park, Tower Hamlets
A carnival float will be created by working with street and graffiti artists. The float will then be featured as part of Underage Festival (also part of CREATE09).
Music Matrix, Greenwich
In partnership with Bashy, an aural narrative installation will be exhibited in the shopping mall of Greenwich town centre. The narration will be a compilation of interviews conducted by local young people with the older generation about their perspective on life today and how things have changed.
Urban Development, Stratford Circus, Stratford
Urban Development are hosts of regular club nights ‘ILUVLIVE’ at Cargo amongst others. Urban Development will host a specially commissioned Young London: Into Music event at Cargo with artists such as Ghetts and Leon Jean Marie. With more guests to be confirmed...
Continental Drifts, at Rough Trade East, Tower Hamlets
Continental Drifts are based in Waltham Forest. For this event, indie band The Brute Chorus are set to perform a live set at Rough Trade East - recently named as one of the top 20 best retailers in the world by Tyler Brûlé's Monocle magazine. In addition there will be more special guests confirmed!
Rising Tide @ Ocean, Hackney
Rising Tide’s event will feature live performances by unknown local talent who get to share the bill with Ms Dynamite, Akala and more!
Young London: Into Music dates:
- 26 June, Rising Tide present ‘Inner City Lives’ at Ocean, Hackney
- 16 July, Continental Drifts present ‘The Brute Chorus’ at Rough Trade East, Shoreditch
- DTBC Mid July, Music Matrix, Greenwich Shopping Mall
- 23 July, Urban Development present ‘Re: Definition’ at Stratford Circus, Stratford
- 2 August, Biggafish at Underage Festival, Victoria Park, Tower Hamlets
Artists confirmed to date:
- Double S
- Leon Jean Marie
- Ms Dynamite
- Shola Ama
- The Thirst
- Urban Vocal Collective
- Plus very special guests to be confirmed!
Related news items:
Newer news items:
- Tinchy Stryder, VV Brown And Grace Jones To Perform At Island Records 50th Anniversary Festival - 13/05/2009 14:20
- XP308i Portable PA System From Samson Technologies - 13/05/2009 13:09
- Peter Doherty Live at The Rhythm Factory Saturday 16th May - 11/05/2009 13:29
- Dizzee Rascal UK Tour October - 05/05/2009 14:28
- Soweto Kinch - The Flyover Show 13th June 2009 - 05/05/2009 14:18