With their latest effort, the duo declare their emancipation, showcasing a discernible maturation as artist and producer. The duplicity of the title suggests that they have raised their own quality standards, but have also upped the ante in the game as whole the price of liquor just went up, says Jak D.
Cold Heat are no strangers to success. From their inception, the duo has managed to rally an impressive list of accolades in an incredibly short amount of time. In promotion of their 2007 released debut album Bar Hoppin (Bomb Hip-Hop), both Jak and Jay toured the U.S. as the opening act for Sadat X (of Brand Nubian). This led Jay W to work closely with Sadat, receiving executive production credits on the 2009 release of his Brand New Bein' LP (Traffic Entertainment Group).
That same year, Jak D was featured on two tracks on DJ JS-1s No Sellout producer compilation (Ground Original / Fatbeats). 2010 marked a milestone for the Queens duo, as their previously released Life Behind Bars LP (Soulspazm / Ground Original), which includes guest features from Torae, G Wiz (Bravehearts), O.C., JS-1, Da Beatminerz, Craig G, Sean Price, Large Professor and the Brown Bag AllStars among others, was selected by iTunes as one of the top indie hip-hop albums of the year.
Raising The Bar opens with Nobodies Leaving Alive, which finds Jak D delivering a 48 bar, hook-free intro with reckless abandon over Jay Ws orchestral production, to serve a clear reminder that the bar has been set, and set high. The title track Raising The Bar, featuring Blacastan and the legendary Craig G, represents lyrical warfare at its finest as hour as the three emcees blitzkrieg over Jay Ws apocalyptic production.
Thinking Out Loud highlights Jaks artistic growth and personal integrity as he addresses whats truly important in this life; friendship, loyalty, and being true to oneself. On Looking For You, Jak argues against the institution of religion, but is eager to find a sign of Gods existence, where on When You Coming Home, Jak takes on the first person narrative of a little boy writing a letter to his father, an enlisted soldier that he hasnt seen in over two years.
Features on Raising The Bar are used sparingly, but very deliberately, such as the triumphant Taking It All, featuring the Wild Cowboy Sadat X and mixtape icon J-Love, the ominous, synth-heavy Smoke That Drink That, featuring Screwballs Blaq Poet, Spanish Guitars featuring Nico The Beast, SR, Neta and Meyhem Lauren, Rolling Through featuring Keith Spitz as well as the aforementioned Raising The Bar.
When asked about their approach to recording Raising The Bar, Jak W states, This album means striving to do what I love at the highest level it can be done. It means pushing myself to step outside of my comfort zone so that I can grow as an artist and more importantly as a person. Jay W adds, Theres no doubt that we raised the bar on this album this is our best effort to date.
There is no question that the Queens-duo break new ground with their latest effort. Cold Heat deliver their benchmark album that is as conceptually diverse and honest as it is braggadocio and animated. On July 19th, the there is a new gold standard - the bar has officially been raised.
01. Nobodies Leaving Alive
02. Hard To Chill
03. Raising The Bar ft. Blacastan and Craig G
04. Thinking Out Loud
06. Spanish Guitars ft. Nico The Beast, SR, Neta, MeyhemLauren
07. Looking For You
08. Rolling Through ft. Keith Spitz
09. When You Coming Home
10. Given This World
11. Place Near You
12. Man On The Mic
13. Taking It All ft. Sadat X and J-Love
14. Smoke That Drink ft. Blaq Poet
Free Download: "Raising The Bar" feat. Blacastan & Craig G
In promotion for the album's release, we're pleased to present the LP's title track "Raising The Bar", which features Blacastan and the legendary Craig G. This track represents lyrical warfare at its finest as hour as the three emcees blitzkrieg over Jay Ws apocalyptic production.
- "Raising The Bar" | MediaFire: http://www.MediaFire.com/?bmf968dwn16mvme
- "Raising The Bar" | HulkShare: http://www.HulkShare.com/5no2zu5fqqwp
- "Raising The Bar" | SoundCloud: http://www.TinyURL.com/66yx3dk
Cold Heat (feat. Blacastan & Craig G) - "Raising The Bar" by Diamond Music Group
Related news items:
Newer news items:
- HLI - Omniglyph EP [Indie] - 03/11/2011 15:02
- Awon And Kameleon Beats - Concentration Gradient LP [Soul Students] - 02/11/2011 14:35
- Ghost67 - Angel Of Sin CD [Geppettos Cave Entertainment] - 28/09/2011 15:00
- Supar Novar - No Favours LP [Flip Life Records] - 06/09/2011 10:37
- IRS - Speaks Volumes LP [IRS] - 14/08/2011 14:08
Older news items:
- Sole And The Skyrider Band - Hello Cruel World LP [Equinox Records] - 04/07/2011 14:19
- Skriblah DanGogh - The Little White Dot LP [Sleeping Giants] - 04/07/2011 14:04
- Unseen And Deeflux - 1984 [Millennium Jazz Music] - 03/07/2011 06:44
- Ill Move Sporadic And Joey Menza - Alpha Coda [Starch Music Records] - 29/06/2011 12:18
- Faith SFX - Man Or Machine MP3 [Play Hard] - 31/05/2011 14:17