And it's thus entirely apt that Wiley's latest, greatest album on Big Dada is entitled Snakes & Ladders and anticipated for 2014 release. Skepta provides production for stand-out song and first single from the album, On A Level, a lithe take on classic grime tropes, but it's Wiley's lyrical exuberance that would make this a hit if it got the half the radio play of Heatwave.
On A Level reminds us exactly what the Bow-born Godfather of Grime is all about. Innovative, banging beats and fast, scattershot, brilliant rhyming, all held together by a personality that is as compelling, contradictory and charismatic as any in modern music. It's no exaggeration to say that if Wiley had been born on the other side of the pond, he would be one of the biggest stars in the world, and could achieve it without compromise. Enjoy this most vital of national treasures whilst you can.
Related news items:
Newer news items:
- M.O.P. 'Street Certified' European Tour - 18/11/2014 14:56
- Funky DL - Jazzmatic 2 Remixes LP [Washington Classics] - 15/11/2014 11:21
- DJ Shadow And Cut Chemist - Renegades Of Rhythm UK Tour 2015 - 08/11/2014 08:23
- DJ Semtex Presents 'Arrival' Featuring Nipsey Hussle - 08/11/2014 07:01
- Atmosphere North Of Hell UK Tour - 30/09/2014 14:34