Jazzy Jeff and DJ Premier are just two of the hip hop heavyweights who have already given Kel the seal of approval, the former featuring Kel on ‘The Definition’ on his ‘The Return Of The Magnificent’ longplayer (one of only a few unsigned artists to be sitting along side guests including Big Daddy Kane and Method Man). After appearances on numerous mixtapes for the likes of Tony Touch and over seventy-five showcases, the grafter has recently been snapped up for an album deal, with his debut LP due for release in 2008.
Ahead of this Kel unleashes his first official single - the neck-snapping monster ‘The Building’. Already picking up plays with UK tastemakers such as DJ 279, Semtex and Blakey, and with the video on rotation on MTV Base and Channel U forthcoming, the signs are already there that Kel is one to watch out for in 2008. The Building is a throbbing bass bumper with a hand clap snare and whistle which is obviously set to project into the most lucrative club anthem sector of the market. Prime positioning, no doubt from this educated sports fan who has a lot more in the box.
Other tracks on the Brooklyn Spartans sampler I was sent include the When I See You remix featuring Fantasia, The Definition which features DJ Jazzy Jeff, Get It Get It and the instrumental of The Building.
When I See You is a bit of a sloppy, slow tempo R’n’B track which really doesn’t do it for me. The production is nice enough, but the breathy female vocals and gentle rapping make this just too soft-core to appeal to me.
The Definition is a true Hip Hop track which is classic material in the making. A piano break and a shuffling beat are the foundations over which Kel explains that he is the true definition of a real MC, all finished off with some nice cuts from Jeff. Get It Get It is another anthemic track with bounce over which Kel boastfully states that no one can do it like he can.
Boasting determination equal to that of some of the scenes most respected veterans, Kel also has his ‘Brooklyn Spartans’ mixtape dropping on his own 3rd Power Music Group label at the same time; introducing listeners to more of the Spencer sound and setting the scene for the release of LP ‘One Way - The Underground’. Already picking up fans in Europe, The US, Canada, Japan and Africa, additionally helped along by the playlisting of his remix of American Idol winner Fantasia’s ‘When I See You’, he is being cited by many as the fresh voice hip hop needs.
Release Date: December 3rd 2007
Related news items:
Newer news items:
- Amy Winehouse - Love Is A Losing Game - Truth & Soul Remix CD [Island Records] - 21/01/2008 08:30
- Lupe Fiasco - Superstar CD [Atlantic Records] - 06/01/2008 17:00
- Triple Darkness - Anathema b/w Heresy ft. Kyza CD [Higher Heights Records] - 30/12/2007 09:31
- Nicolay And Kay - Tight Eyes ft. Oh No And The Luv Bugz CD [Nicolay Music] - 29/12/2007 17:00
- Context MC - The Dialectics EP - 15/12/2007 17:00
Older news items:
- Mystic Man And Eshaman Jaro - Cheshire Cat CD [Fat! Records] - 27/11/2007 04:49
- LG Presents The Mission b/w What Would Happen 12" [YNR Productions] - 21/11/2007 17:00
- Kid Genius - Demo CD [Kid Genius] - 19/11/2007 06:22
- Shimm1 ft. Moorish Delta - It's Over CD [Zygo Battalion] - 12/11/2007 17:00
- J.R. Writer - Where You At CD [Babygrande Records] - 17/10/2007 15:23