UK Youth Chief Executive John Bateman OBE says: “We should be providing young people with the opportunities to explore their interests and provide them with the framework to turn their ideas into reality; encouraging and rewarding creativity, enterprise and initiative”.
Stephen Alambritis, Chair of the Make your Mark campaign says, “Already over a third of young people feel they have the personal qualities needed to develop a business idea. During enterprise week we want to inspire even more young people in their teens and twenties to have ideas and make them happen”.
UK Youth’s Youth Achievement Awards scheme, externally accredited by ASDAN, rewards young people’s skills and voluntary participation in local projects. With 66% of young people aged 16-24 involved in informal volunteering it is not surprising that the awards are now a well-respected national programme, with over 20,000 young people from over 1,000 different youth groups participating in the scheme.
The awards have been praised for engaging young people of all backgrounds in the activities that really interest them; building essential communication, problem-solving, team working, and organisation skills, as well as endowing young people with a sense of achievement and confidence in their unique abilities.
Jill Burdis at Greenfield School in Durham says, “When the young people go out into the wide world I want them to be confident in their life skills. As a result of using UK Youth’s Youth Achievement Awards, the majority of my group have become more independent and self-motivated workers which are qualities that employers look for”.
The work of some of the many young people involved in these projects will be showcased at an awards ceremony that will take place early in the New Year.
Related news items:
Newer news items:
- UK Rap Videos Has Launched - 24/09/2007 12:21
- Foot Locker Launches The Search For The Face Of New Era's Global Advertising Campaign - 19/09/2007 17:00
- Vodafone Live Music Awards Winners Announced - 19/09/2007 17:00
- Mark Ronson Releases New Single Featuring Amy Winehouse Plus Tour Dates - 17/09/2007 17:00
- Fresh 2 Def At Stratford Circus - 16/09/2007 13:06
Older news items:
- Skull To Be Silenced By Military Service - 15/09/2007 17:00
- El-P Brings I'll Sleep When You're Dead to UK and Europe - 15/09/2007 17:00
- The UK's Dubplate Drama Series Returns To Tv, Mobile And The Web - 12/09/2007 17:00
- New Banksy, Sick Boy, D*Face in Canterbury - 10/09/2007 12:57
- Idris Elba Brings Hollywood To London - Bfm International Film Festival - 03/09/2007 17:00