- Dizzee Rascal
Since its inception in 2006; The BET Hip Hop Awards have incorporated a UK category to recognise the contribution of British artists. The “Best UK Act” remains the only international category in the show, and previous British winners Sway and Kano have gone on to expand their profile in the lucrative US market. The nominees were picked by a panel of UK music insiders.
Michael Armstrong, GM and SVP of BET International said, “We are delighted to host the “Best UK Act” category in its third year as part of the annual BET Hip Hop Awards. As a result of our continued support we believe British Hip Hop has made tangible progress, not only by raising its profile in the largest urban music market but also affording previous winners’ access to 89 million television households in North America and the Caribbean”.
BET will continue their media partnership, now in its third year, with 1Xtra BBC; who will broadcast exclusive Hip Hop Awards coverage on Ace and Vis’ popular drive-time show.
Ray Paul, Executive Producer of Mainstream Programming at 1Xtra BBC said, “1Xtra is pleased to continue supporting the BET Hip Hop Awards in the “Best UK Act” category. After the success of previous winners Sway and Kano, we are looking forward to following the path to the awards for this year's winner and watching their career flourish post awards".
Hip-Hop fans can vote for their favourite artist at www.betonblast.co.uk/hha2008 from 24th September until 8th October. However, unlike previous years; the public will have to tune in and watch the UK premiere on BET to find out who the winner is.
The BET Hip Hop Awards 2008, hosted by veteran comedian Katt Williams will premiere in the UK on BET Sky198 and Freesat 140 on 24th October 2008 at 8pm (GMT).
By: Michelle Adabra
Related news items:
Newer news items:
- Jack Flash Crowned End Of The Weak (EOW) UK Battle Champion - 28/09/2008 17:00
- Mr Midas Exclusive T-shirt Range For Want Respect? - 28/09/2008 17:00
- Sway Signs To Akon's Kon Live Label - 25/09/2008 14:30
- Grandmaster Flash At Alize Remixed Event - 24/09/2008 17:00
- Foot Locker And Adidas Celebrate The Originals - 22/09/2008 17:00
Older news items:
- Foot Locker Unveils Adidas Bounce Collection - 10/09/2008 13:45
- Mr Jago - Cloud Talk At Stolenspace Gallery - 10/09/2008 06:31
- Kanye West Glow In The Dark Tour - 07/09/2008 13:13
- New Edition's Ralph, Bobby And Johnny Form A New Group - 07/09/2008 05:59
- Stanton DJ Announces Affiliation With Dubspot DJ School - 06/09/2008 17:00