Newest recruit to the roster is intriguingly named French producer Baptman with this nifty instrumental 7 inch. ‘Luv 2 Luv U’ is well produced but its Dilla-esque claps and mellow keys passed me by in a haze of indifference. The flipside is the main attraction here. While a lot of producers are running with the glitch style made popular by Dabrye, Flying Lotus etc., few manage to retain groove and soul amid all the technically choppery.
Herein lies the appeal of ‘Groo’ which successfully finesses an electronic style many get wrong. Staccato bass stabs squelch and squirm around whirling synths and head nod drums as Lyn Collin’s iconic shriek intermittently punctuates the mix. When it comes to Hip Hop, Diamond D recommended keeping it simple and I usually agree but this is a great example of getting technical but keeping it funky. Seek out this gem.
Related news items:
Newer news items:
- Audio Two - Top Billin' 7" [First Priority Music US] - 21/01/2009 13:53
- Bobby Hutcherson - Montara 7" [More Groove Japan] - 21/01/2009 13:53
- Koushik - Nothing's the Same 7" [Stone's Throw] - 21/01/2009 13:53
- Paul White - For You And For Me / We Want it All 7" [One Handed Music] - 15/10/2008 17:00
- Kashmere - The Jazz 7" [Karamak / YNR] - 15/10/2008 17:00
Older news items:
- Rocko - Umma Do Me - DJ Doc Rok Remix MP3 - 08/04/2008 02:48
- Red - Seen 7" [Dealmaker] - 01/08/2007 08:11
- Carpetface - Spread It Around / Realeyesation 7" [New Bias] - 10/03/2007 00:00
- The Streets ft. Pete Doherty - Prangin Out 7" [679 Recordings] - 15/09/2006 06:02
- Kids In Tracksuits - Get Your Kit On 7" [Dealmaker] - 09/03/2006 04:11