With America in the grip of recession, poised to elect a new president and political awareness being at an all time high, the time seems about right to drop a few gems on the populace. But considering 'fuck the New World Order' is the millennial equivalent of ‘fuck the police’ in underground Hip Hop circles it’s surprising how few offer insight into what it actually is or means. Society is Brainwashed breaks down the basics with controversial references to everything from William Cooper, Christianity and Al Qaeda to the One World Government Theory coming off like ‘Zeitgeist’ on wax. And if you’ve seen that film you’ll know the deal.
The production here is the classic formula but flipped with a dark sci-fi soundtrack feel that corresponds perfectly with the tone of the vocal. Apparently Premier intended this beat for Jay –Z’s American Gangster set but was rebuffed, arguably a blessing in disguise as instead of Jigga’s increasingly asinine waffle, Society is Brainwashed is a hungry, snarling beast of a record. Flipside ‘I’m a Goon’ is the icing on the cake seeing Bill attack the sturdy drums and nagging piano riff with signature random genius. Definitely one for the crates!
Related news items:
Newer news items:
- eLZhi ft. Black Milk, Guilty Simpson, Fatt Father, Danny Brown and Fat Ray - Fire CD [Fat Beats] - 21/10/2008 14:31
- Tone Loc - Funky Cold Medina - Aaron LaCrate & Deboniar Samir Remix CD [Delicious Vinyl] - 20/10/2008 17:00
- Danny Spice ft. Lewis Parker - Down and Out 12" [Cog] - 15/10/2008 17:00
- Wordsmith - They Don't Seem To Care EP [Def Ethics] - 10/10/2008 07:20
- Qwote ft. Plies - 808 12" [Jive] - 10/10/2008 04:10