In fact it draws together a few influences, some may hear Rza and the Wu-Tang, some Rick Rubin and his many MCs, some the Bomb Squad, some the Young MC-esque releases of days gone by. Whatever it is you hear, it’s bound to evoke nostalgia and in a climate of some pretty lame, spiritless versions of Hip Hop, this is more than a good thing. In a wistful way this is invigorating.
Styly Cee does update the old sounds though, in many ways the production here is mature and professional compared to its roots - it’s suitable for this century and is more than a re-hash of aged ideas. Cappo harnesses the angst of street commentators both modern and traditional, and with a Nottingham lilt he supplies the necessary other half to Styly Cee’s weighty sonics.
As far as I know, and my knowledge has considerable distance (but do correct me if I’m wrong), no-one in the UK is running things quite like this and the ability to rise above the sea of sameness is everything right now. Cappo and Styly Cee; we salute you, for you rocked.
'The H-Bomb EP' is out on November 10th on Son Records.
01. Tell Them
02. Time Will Tell
03. Time Will Tell (Inst)
01. Unwritten Rule
02. Unwritten Rule (Inst)
03. Tell Them (Inst)
Related news items:
Newer news items:
- No Pretense ft. Cage - Self Harmonic MP3 [Don't Talk To Strangers] - 24/11/2008 15:02
- A-Skillz ft. Krafty Kuts - Happiness 12" [Finger Lickin'] - 24/11/2008 15:02
- Chopps Derby - You Don't Know What Broccoli Is? EP [Gulls Trunk] - 24/11/2008 15:02
- K.O. And OD Hunte - Back To The Hip Hop EP [Southern Cuba] - 24/11/2008 15:02
- Jelluzz - Hold On CD [Big Deal] - 24/11/2008 15:02
Older news items:
- L.Star And Tweeti ft. Kevin Mark Trail - She looks Good 12" [L-Star] - 04/11/2008 04:28
- Black Milk - Give the Drummer Some / The Matrix CD [Fat Beats] - 03/11/2008 17:00
- Estelle ft. Sean Paul - Come Over CD [Atlantic US] - 03/11/2008 17:00
- Dap-C And Lil' Wayne - Ma Money EP [NGU] - 28/10/2008 17:00
- Manny Moscow - The Three Piece Exkursion EP [Heavy Handed Recordings] - 28/10/2008 17:00