Capturing movement and energy, freezing the action at its most crucial stage, Mode’s work has always focused on issues close to him: love, lust, relationships, hip hop culture in all its aspects, clubbing, hanging out, the environment and motherhood.
Constructed and created entirely on-site in the Newcastle gallery basement, Mode has utilised the practical and modular qualities of cardboard, building up his painting surfaces with a patchwork mosaic assembly of differing textures and shades, cutting and juxtaposing well over 100 separate pieces into compositions until they found a particular harmony in his eye. Only after completing this laborious task did he move on to the actual sketching and painting with pastels and acrylic itself.
Besides these new paintings, there's the added bonus of the ground floor of the gallery showing a selection of his sketches something of a first for Mode as he's never before allowed us to look behind his more public painting work.
21st August - 10th October 2009
Lazarides 77 Quayside | Newcastle upon Tyne | NE1 3DE | +44(0)191 221 2560
Related news items:
Newer news items:
Older news items:
- Sony Pictures Entertainment And Sony Music Entertainment Present 'This Is It' - 10/08/2009 16:00
- Tinchy Stryder Calls For Nominations For The Vinspired National Awards 2009 - 31/07/2009 05:26
- Urban In Ibiza Hits The White Isle - 28/07/2009 06:22
- Jody Solo Exhibition - 22/07/2009 13:03
- DJ Jeppa And DJ Rasp Battle Their Way To Winning The UK Finals - 15/07/2009 13:44