In my opinion, and the opinion of everyone I spoke to at the festival, this was one of the best festivals held in Britain for quite a while. It was an amazing festival that very tastefully limits commercialisation and allows you to have fun without having to re-mortgage your home (in comparison to other festivals).
The fancy dress theme this year was “Fantasy” which pretty much opened the doors for almost any get-up you could think of and 98 percent of people really did put in a lot of effort. Sights such as a group of He-Men fighting a single Skeletor to Hunter S Thompson with Little Bo Peep in a headlock kept spirits high throughout and always resulted in random but welcoming conversations with complete strangers.
Bands were quite a rare sight this year and there was a much more of an electronic focus on the music / shows. Acts such as the Prodigy, LCD Soundsystem, Hot Chip and Mylo provided us with a great variation of electronic music to dance to in an array of different settings. Hats off to the Bollywood tent for playing amazing music continuously throughout the whole festival and hosting the remarkably fun Bestival radio station on 87.7 FM in the mornings.
Some of the best acts I saw during the weekend were the Nextmen, The Cuban Brothers, La Roux DJ set and the not so famous River People, which presented a “Terrible Tale” in an acoustic set to a small crowd next to the wishing tree. These acts made my weekend and I would like to think that they had a similar effect on everyone else that was lucky enough to witness such sparkly shows. The cabaret tent also granted us with some great comedians during the daytime and gave chance for people to fight off the previous night’s hangover, only to start all over again a few hours later.
All in all, Bestival 2010 was one of the most impressive festivals I have ever been to. With people running around shouting about how much of an incredible time they were having and dancing around with friends and great music to top it off, how could you possibly have a bad time? The vibe was fantastic and the general feel of the festival itself makes you wonder where you have to queue to get next years tickets. If you want to end next year with a bang, go to Bestival 2011.
By: Kris Drew
Related news items:
Newer news items:
- Foreign Beggars Live At Jazz Cafe 12/2/2013 - 14/02/2013 14:08
- Boy Better Know At The Red Bull Culture Clash 07/11/2012 - 08/11/2012 14:37
- Immortal Technique And Lowkey At The Brixton Electric - Thursday 25th October 2012 - 27/10/2012 06:11
- Red Bull Music Academy - Revolutions In Sound - 20/10/2011 13:13
- Back Stronger Than Ever - 28/10/2010 15:07
Older news items:
- Seanie T at Alaska Street Studios, Waterloo 20 Aug 2010 - 04/09/2010 13:39
- Tiesto - July 30th 2010 - 18/08/2010 13:46
- Hot Natured Party At The W Hotel In Barcelona - 24/06/2010 12:52
- Ty - Breaking The Hip Hop Mould - 15/06/2010 14:16
- What's a Black Sheep? Dres of Black Sheep at The Jazz Cafe, London, UK - 07/06/2010 15:29