These events involve many local groups and organisations, ranging from Roundhouse to the Shaw Theatre.
The following are just 3 or the events that will take place in the borough of Camden over the month of October to celebrate Black History Month. Camden has supported events some of the events with grant funding.
Writing Black Histories Seminar (see listings details below)
The panel discussion involves prominent Black British writers and historians. They will debate black literature and provide practical advice on how to get published and develop a career on writing. Speakers will focus on the importance of producing, developing and writing Black histories. Invited panel members include Robert Beckford’s book God and Gangs, attempts to provide some theological tools for understanding the rise of disaffection among Black urban youth.
Border / Clash with Staceyann Chin (see listings details below)
Border / Clash with Staceyann Chin is a pioneering slam poet from the American TV programme HBO Def Poet Slam. Border Clash blends slam poetry, autobiographical storytelling and political commentary as Chin paints the journey from her Jamaican childhood through the discovery of her sexual identity and political voice in New York. She will be supported by Mz Fontaine. The show will raise funds for Black Cultural Archives Museum and Dyslexia Support.
Venue provided courtesy of the Shaw Theatre.
Poetry Slam (see listings details below)
In partnership with the Roundhouse Summer programme, this youth poetry slam – with MC Nii Ayikwei Parkes – will engage young people and the wider in creating innovating forms of poetry. The theme will be Black Histories. Contestants will work on there entries throughout the summer and will perform their final pieces at the poetry slam held at the Roundhouse. Winners will be judged on applause and all competitors will receive a prise. For competition details please visit www.cbwg.org.uk
Writing Black Histories Seminar
Date: 9th October 06
Time: 6.30 – 9pm
Price: £6/£4 cons
Venue: British Library, Euston Road, London
Tickets: British Library Box Office: 0207 412 7222
Border / Clash with Staceyann Chin & Mz Fontaine
Date: 15th October 06
Price: £8/£6 cons
Address: Shaw Theartre, 100 Euston Road, London, NW1 2AJ
Tickets info: Shaw Theartre Box office: 0870 033 2600
Date: 20th October 06
Time: 7 – 11pm
Price: £1 donation on the door
Venue: Round House Freedom Space, Chalk Farm Road, London, NW1 8EH
Info: 0207 974 4590 / 1683
Related news items:
Newer news items:
- Muse And Camouflage - The New Home Of Live Music In Nottingham - 10/10/2006 00:00
- The Metro Ski and Snowboard Show - 07/10/2006 05:04
- Foot Locker Host Free Event To Launch RBK Daddy Yankee Sneaker - 06/10/2006 09:02
- Jalporte Mixtape And Release Info - 05/10/2006 00:00
- Kicksta Release Nova Scotia Hip-Hop Compilation - 04/10/2006 13:00
Older news items:
- Roll Deep Debut Exclusive New Track At Tate Modern - 01/10/2006 14:29
- New Zebra Traffic Release: Up Hygh - Compatible - 01/10/2006 13:50
- Blade Last Ever Live Performance - 01/10/2006 13:18
- St. Lunatics' Penelope Jones Readies Debut Album - 28/09/2006 02:29
- Rarekind Opens New Brighton Store - 22/09/2006 03:00