The celeb-packed evening presented by Radio 1’s Chris Moyles, saw some of the world’s greatest musicians honoured for their contribution to the live music scene over the past year. Acts as diverse as Stereophonics, CSS, Enrique Iglesias, Kate Nash, The Manic Street Preachers, Calvin Harris, Athlete, Pigeon Detectives and The Enemy all played to a packed venue of fellow nominees, music industry experts and fans.
Soul sensation Amy Winehouse and falsetto supremo Mika were the big winners at tonight’s second Vodafone Live Music Awards held at London ’s Brompton Hall, with the artists walking away with the coveted new Best Live Female and Best Live Male awards.
Northern rockers Arctic Monkeys walked off with the Best Live Act award, beating off fierce competition from the Kaiser Chiefs, Kasabian and 2006 winners Muse whilst Best Live Return was won by The Police. Arkansas rock outfit Gossip won the Live Impact 2007 award and the Glastonbury Festival triumphed in the Channel 4 Festival of the Year category. Iggy Pop received the prestigious Freddie Mercury Lifetime Achievement Award in Live Music whilst James’ ever faithful Geoff Buckley, having been with the band since 1989, scooped the prize for Best Roadie.
Full list of Vodafone Live Music Awards winners:
- Live Male: Mika
- Live Female: Amy Winehouse
- Best Live Act: Arctic Monkeys
- Live Impact 2007: Gossip
- Best Show Production: Kylie
- Best Live Return: The Police
- Live Music DVD: Oasis: Morning Glory – An Album Under Review
- Live Music Venue: Wembley Stadium
- XFM Live Breakthrough Act: Klaxons
- Channel 4 Festival of the Year: Glastonbury
- Kerrang! Live Unsigned Act: The Flaming Monkeys
- Best International Live Act: The Killers
- Sony Ericsson Tour of The Year: Muse
- Best Roadie: Geoff Buckley (roadie for James)
- The Freddie Mercury Lifetime Achievement Award in Live Music: Iggy Pop
The Vodafone Live Music Awards judging panel featured a host of music industry insiders including representatives from Music Week and the major record labels. They were tasked with nominating acts for each of the awards categories, and live music fans were given the opportunity to vote for their favourite artists at: